Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Labels

There's been a heated little discusion over at Murphs site about racism. But I don't want to talk about that, more about how people are quick to slap a label on a person or a group. Hey I'm guilty of it, I'd picked Murph as a bitter, right wing, red neck yank who just wanted to nuke the rest of the world and maybe even some of the more Democrat cities.

Now I'm not so sure, I think there would be something deeper driving his opinions. He's got a good apreciation of history and it's lessons. I'm not going to slot him in anywhere in my mind though, even if I disagree with most of his opinions.

Here in QLD we get the mother of all useless labels, which school did you attend. I went to a boozy business lunch once where I was asked by three seperate 50+ gentleman which school I had attended, I mean that's just sad.


Lantanaland from the iPhone

2 comments:

  1. Oh, jeez, what school you went to? Really?

    I'm quite proud of the fact I rarely encounter that question, or that it rarely seems to matter with the people I encounter.

    It's a bit... stupid. As if that could determine who you are or what you stand for. The worst part is when people do seem to set such store by it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was a real trip GC, i was the youngest person at this lunch by about ten years, yet mentally i must have been beyond at least half of them, going on some of the stupid questions i heard.

    What was worse is that it was supposed to be beer and beef theme and we got served rubbish steak and shithouse beer

    ReplyDelete