Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Bite sized reading

I read really quickly. If it's a book that I'm really in to I can rip through a book in a few hours. It's not speed reading, cause if it's boring it takes me weeks to get through something.

So I've hit a bit of curly one. One of the fellow travellers over at Mother Foccacia also has a blog that is essentially a novel, broken up into small parts. It's funny, crude in bits and hits a lot of the memories that most of my fellow flatmates from yesteryear will recognize with frightening clarity.

However it rolls along in small chunks. At the start that was fine because it was convenient to fit in at the end of the day or while waiting in line, anytime I had a spare five minutes. But now I am hooked in the way that if this was a printed book would keep me up until I'd read the last word.

Birmo has written about doing something like this for his fanfic, to be ported into an app for the iPhone or google android. You always have it with you and read it at the doctors or on the train or bus. The writing style will be slightly different because you really have to keep the reader coming back again and again.

That's what Doctor Yobbo's done. I'm hooked. The story/blog is called In The Worst Possible Taste. It's a good read, check it out. But start with the first entry.


Lantanaland from the iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I used to read a lot faster than I do now. Used to be able to knock off 100 novel pages in an hour no prob. Not so much any more.

    Figuring out what size 'chunks' to use in ITWPT is kinda tricky. Consensus seems to be 5-6K words is about right. Interestingly, going back through the manuscript, there's usually a relatively stand-along story to be told in that interval (ie there's some sort of plot development with some sort of interesting denouement to leave on.)

    Cheers for yer kind words anyway. Can't put the bastard up any quicker cos I haven't written the ending yet...

    ReplyDelete